SASSA is a South African Social Security Agency that is known for giving grants to the needy people of South Africa. Until now SASSA has served more than 18 million citizens of South Africa. Because of the agency’s dedication and honesty in helping citizens, it is one of the most reliable sources of financial help to live a good life in case you cannot earn on your own.
Well, there are several types of grants offered by SASSA. And in this guide, we will talk about all those types of grants, their basic eligibility criteria, and what documents you have to submit with an application. So that if you or someone you know is interested in getting the grant they know the eligibility criteria about the grant they are applying for.
Types of Grants in South Africa
This guide tells you about the types of grants in South Africa that are offered by SASSA and what are their eligibility criteria. We will first start with what is a social grant and then will look at the types of grants offered by South Africa for needy citizens to live a good life.
What Is A Social Grant?
A social grant is a financial help that is given to the citizens of South Africa by the government of South Africa. The social grants are monitored by SASSA. SASSA is a South African Social Security Agency. Those citizens who cannot earn on their own and cannot live a good life can apply for a relative grant and can get one.
There is a certain eligibility criteria that is checked after the applicant applies for the grant and if his application gets accepted and he is considered eligible for getting the grant, he will get the grant payment otherwise his application will be rejected. Following are the eight types of social grants offered by SASSA. We will look into the details of each so you do not miss any important information.
1. SRD Grant
SRD grant stands for social relief of distress grant. It was initiated during the pandemic time when many people were suffering from the financial crisis.
It is given to needy people for temporary assistance to help those who lost their job during the covid-19 pandemic scenario. To be eligible for the grant, you have to fulfill the following-mentioned requirements.
Eligibility Criteria For SRD R350 Grant
- The applicant should be a permanent resident of South Africa. And if not he should be a refugee who is registered in home affairs.
- He should be above the age of 18.
- He should be unemployed.
- He should not be receiving any type of other social grant or he should not have any income.
- He should not be receiving any type of unemployment insurance benefit.
- He should not be a candidate for NSFAS.
Documents Needed For SRD R350 GraNT
To apply for SRD R350 grant you have to fill in the application form and have to provide certain documents with your application form. The documents include,
- Your ID card
- Name and surname information
- Your gender and disability
- Your banking details
- Contact details including your cell phone number
- The proof of your residential address.
2. Care Dependency Grant
A care dependency grant is a social grant offered to those caregivers who are caring for a disabled or severely physically disabled child. This grant helps the caregiver to help the child and support his disability needs.
Since physically or mentally disabled children need special attention and professional care, this grant helps the caregiver financially to pay for the expense of the child. The grant recipient can be the foster parent of the child or the child’s primary caregiver.
Eligibility Criteria For Care Dependency Grant
To be eligible for a care dependency grant you have to make sure that,
- You are a South African citizen or a refugee in South Africa.
- You should be a primary caregiver of the child, a foster parent, or a parent.
- You have to make sure that the child is not getting permanent care or is not residing in any of the state-funded institutions.
- You have to provide proof of the child’s disability.
- You and your spouse should meet the means test requirement to get qualified for getting the grant.
Documents Needed For Care Dependency Grant
After fulfilling the eligibility criteria you have to submit an application form with the required documents. The document includes,
- Yours and your spouse’s ID card.
- The child’s ID document or birth certificate if he does not have an ID card.
- You have to submit proof of household income such as payslips and an affidavit, if you are employed. And a pension receipt, if you are on a pension.
- You also have to submit proof of your relationship with your spouse.
- You have to provide SASSA with a medical statement of the child that tells the child is severely disabled either physically or mentally and needs permanent care.
3. Foster Child Grant
A foster child grant is a social grant offered by SASSA to those children who are living in foster care. You have to make sure that the child is under the age of 18 years.
A foster parent is a person who has custody of the child and is not the biological parent of the child. He can apply for a foster child grant if he is unable to earn a good living. Well, the foster parents of the child are nominated by the magistrate court.
Eligibility Criteria For Foster Child Grant
To be eligible for getting the grant,
- You have to make sure that you are a South African citizen.
- You have to make sure that you are the foster parent of the child and that the child is always in your care.
- You have to make sure that you and the child you are taking care of as foster parents both live in South Africa.
- You have to submit proof of custody of the child given to you by a court due to any of the following reasons. Either the child is orphaned or abandoned or he is at security risk, is neglected or abused.
- Make sure the child you are taking care of as a foster parent is less than 18 years of age.
Now you can apply if you are eligible for getting a foster child grant. To apply for getting the grant, you need to submit some documents to attach with the application form. Make sure to attach the documents in the original form or certified copies, if you are not willing to submit your original documents.
Documents Needed For Foster Child Grant
- You have to submit your child’s birth certificate.
- You have to submit the ID card of your spouse and have to submit proof of your marriage.
- You have to submit proof of relationship with your spouse either in the form of a marriage certificate divorce order, spouse’s death certificate, or affidavit. If any of the above-mentioned is not applicable, you also have to submit the court order that explains the court has allowed you to be a foster parent.
4. Older Persons Grant/ Elderly Grant
An elderly Grant is given to those senior citizens of South Africa who cannot earn a good living. Whether it is due to physical or mental disability or they are old and are unable to earn a good income, they can apply for this grant and can live a good life. There is an eligibility criterion that you have to fulfill before applying for the older person grant.
Eligibility Criteria For Older Persons Grant
To apply for the grant you have to make sure that you are a permanent citizen of South Africa, if not you must be a refugee.
- You should be above the age of 60 years.
- You should be living in South Africa.
- You have to meet the means test criteria. A means test is a test for income and assets.
- You have to make sure that you are not receiving care in any of the state institutions.
- You also have to make sure that you are not receiving any other social grant from SASSA.
If you think you are eligible, you can apply for an older person’s grant. To apply for a SASSA older person grant you can either choose the way of applying online or can visit the SASSA office. With the application form, you also have to submit some of the necessary documents that are mentioned below.
Documents Needed For Older Persons Grant
The documents that you have to submit with the application form include,
- ID document or refugee status permit or the refugee ID that is a 13-digit ID in case you do not have your refugee status permit.
- You have to submit proof of your marital status and your spousal relationship.
- You have to submit proof of residence, proof of your income assets, and have to submit proof of private pension if you are getting any.
- You also have to submit a 3 months bank statement and an unemployment insurance fund if you are previously employed.
5. Disability Grant
Disability Grant is given to those South African citizens who are unable to work due to some physical or mental disabilities. You can apply for disability grants if you fulfill the eligibility criteria. And the eligibility criteria for the disability grant are mentioned below.
Eligibility Criteria For Disability Grant
The points included in the eligibility criteria include that,
- You must be a citizen of South Africa or must be a permanent resident.
- You should be between 18 years and 59 years of age.
- You must make sure that you are not receiving any care in the state institution.
- You have to make sure that you are living in South Africa.
- You should have a permanent disability, either physical or mental or temporary disability to get the grant.
- If you want to get the grant, then make sure your disability is the type of disability that makes you unfit for more than 12 months.
- You must meet the means test requirement.
- You have to make sure that you are not getting any other social grant or getting any other care in a state institution.
After fulfilling the eligibility criteria, you have to make sure that you submit the following mention documents with your application.
Documents Needed For Disability Grant
The document that you have to submit for the disability grant with your application includes,
- ID document or refugee status permit
- A current medical report confirming your disability
- Proof of your residence
- Proof of your income
- Proof of your marital status and your spousal relationship
- You have to submit proof of your assets and proof of private pension if you are getting any.
Grant-in-aid is a social grant that is given to those South African citizens who already are receiving a certain social grant due to some reason and are physically unable to work. Those who are receiving war veterans grants, old age grants, or disability grants, can apply for Grant-in-aid if they are unable to clean their house, do laundry, and wash themselves.
Grant-in-aid is a grant for those who cannot work on their own and need physical assistants from someone else in home tasks. To apply for a grant in aid you have to make sure to fulfill the eligibility criteria before applying.
Eligibility Criteria For Grant-in-aid
The eligibility criteria for getting a grant-in-aid grant includes,
- You must be receiving any of the following grants from SASSA, either the war veteran grant, disability grant, or older person grant.
- You must be unable to care for yourself due to any kind of mental or physical disability.
- You must need full-time assistance.
- You have to submit proof of your medical report that says you need full-time care.
- You have to make sure that you are not receiving care in the state institution.
Documents Needed For Grant-In-Aid Grant
To apply for the SASSA grant-in-aid, you have to fill in the application form and have to submit certain documents with it to get approval. Make sure to submit the original documents or the certified copies so your application does not get declined.
- You have to submit an affidavit for a SASSA grant in aid that should be completed and signed.
- You have to submit your ID document.
- You have to submit the medical report claiming your disability.
- Make sure the medical report is less than 3 months old and not more than that.
- You have to submit proof of your marital status.
7. War Veteran Grant
Those South African citizens who have served in the Korean War or second world war and are older than 60 years now and cannot earn for themselves on their own can apply for war veterans grants. The grant is given to those who need financial assistance. To get the grant, you must have to fulfill certain eligibility criteria.
Eligibility Criteria For War Veterans Grant
The eligibility criteria for a war veteran grant include,
- You must be a citizen of South Africa.
- You must be above the age of 60 years.
- You must be living in South Africa.
- You have to submit proof that you have fought in either the Korean War or the second world war.
- You must meet the means test requirements.
- You have to make sure that you are not receiving care in state institutions like rehabilitation centers, prisons, or old age homes.
- You also have to make sure that you are not receiving any other type of social grant.
After fulfilling the eligibility criteria, you can now apply for the grant. In addition to the application form, you have to submit certain documents to get approved by officials.
Documents Needed For War Veterans Grant
The documents that you have you submit with your application form include,
- ID document
- Proof of your service in the war either in the Korean War or World War 2
- You have to submit proof of your marital status
- You have to submit proof of disability
- You have to submit proof of residence
- You have to submit proof of your income and proof of your assets.
- You also have to provide proof of private pension if you are getting any.
- You have to provide them with a three-month bank statement.
- You have to submit the unemployment insurance fund if you were employed before.
How many types of grants are offered by the South African Social Security Agency?
SASSA provides 8 different types of grants depending upon the needs of citizens. They include an SRD R350 grant, care dependency grant, child support grant, foster child grant, disability grant, older persons grant, grant in aid, and war veterans grant. All of these have different eligibility criteria from each other.
Can you get a grant in aid if you are already getting a war veteran grant?
Yes, you can get a grant in aid because it is for those grant holders who cannot care for themselves on their own. Those who are looking for someone to take care of themselves and are unable to pay their caretaker can apply for a grant in aid.
What is a child support grant?
A child support grant is given to the primary caregiver of the child. Those who have low incomes and need financial assistance to take care of their child can apply for a child support grant.
This above-mentioned article tells you about the different types of social grants that are offered by SASSA in South Africa. All of these grants are different from each other and have different eligibility criteria.
Read the details above so that if you want to get a certain grant from SASSA you know what is the eligibility criteria of that particular grant and what documents you have to submit to get the grant. Read the details so you do not miss any important information.
SASSA R350 Cardless Withdrawal
In the time of the pandemic, out of all crises people faced a major challenge was maintaining finances as many...
How to Collect R350 Grant at an ATM?
SASSA provides the basic income to run a household for those who are jobless or unable to work. There are...
Apply for Food Parcels
The government of South Africa always comes up with ways to provide relief to vulnerable citizens or those who are...
SASSA Child Grant Not Paid
If you are struggling with the “SASSA child grant not paid” problem then you should go through the following article....
SASSA Means Income Source Identified
“SASSA Means Income Source Identified” is an error that speaks volumes. You may already be familiar with the reasons why...
SASSA Loan via Cellphone
As amazing as Sassa loans are, the queues in the office make it really difficult for some applicants to take...
Why SASSA Declined
SASSA is helping many South African citizens financially by providing them with grants, but it is not for all citizens....
NET1 SASSA Loans
Are you struggling to meet ends even after getting the grant money from SASSA? The amount sometimes is not enough...
SASSA Approved With Payday but No SMS
Are you among those waiting to receive the SMS because SASSA approved with payday, but there was no SMS for...
Shoprite SASSA Loans
The best thing for the citizens of South Africa comes in the form of Sassa. Their loans and grants offer...
- Guides5 months ago
SRD SASSA Status Check – R350 Grant Payment Dates Online
- Guides5 months ago
SASSA Appeal & Status Check Online
- Guides5 months ago
SASSA Reapplication for R350 & Reconsideration Status
- Guides5 months ago
Why is My SASSA R350 Approved but Still No Payment?
- Guides5 months ago
SASSA Online Application for R350
- Guides5 months ago
SASSA Change Phone Number
- Guides4 months ago
SASSA Cancellation – 3 Ways to Cancel the SRD Application
- Guides5 months ago
SASSA Loans (Comprehensive Guide)